key players in the global Dicyclopentadiene Market—Exxon Mobil Corporation, Chevron Phillips Chemical Company, Cymetech Corporation, Nova Chemicals Corporation, Tokyo Chemical Industry CO., LTD (TCI), Royal Dutch Shell, The Dow Chemical Company, Braskem, Lyondellbasell Industries Holdings B.V, Sinopec.
The global dicyclopentadiene market is projected to be valued at USD 1,071.74 million by the end of 2027, registering a CAGR of 5.14% during the forecast period.
Dicyclopentadiene is a chemical compound with the formula C10H12. It is co-produced in large quantities in the steam cracking of naphtha and gas oils to ethylene as part of the separation process of crude C5 streams. It is a colorless, waxy, flammable solid or liquid with a camphor-like odor. Dicyclopentadiene is highly flammable, with a flashpoint of 90°F/32°C and a boiling point of 338ºF/170°C. The major uses are in resins, mainly unsaturated polyester resins. As a chemical intermediate, it is used to make insecticides, hardeners, and dryers in linseed and soybean oil and produce ethylene propylene diene monomer (EPDM) elastomers metallocenes, resins, varnishes, and paints.
The extensive demand for dicyclopentadiene in the manufacturing of unsaturated polyester resins is the primary driving factor propelling the growth of the global dicyclopentadiene market. These unsaturated polyester resins are further widely used in the manufacturing of fiber-reinforced plastics (FRP), which have applications in sanitary ware, tanks, pipes, gratings, and high-performance components for the marine and transportation industry, such as closure panels, body panels, fenders, and boat hulls and decks. Replacement of conventional structural materials, such as wood and metals, by FRPs due to their high strength-to-weight ratio, chemical resistance, weather ability, easy fabrication, and versatility of product design drives the global market. Furthermore, the use of dicyclopentadiene in hydrocarbon resins, which are used as tackifiers, performance modifiers, and homogenizing agents, supports market growth.
Moreover, rapid industrialization and urbanization across the globe and infrastructural development promote the use of EPDM rubber in construction activities. The growing construction industry in developing regions, with rising residential and commercial construction, especially in India and China, coupled with improving living standards and rising disposable incomes, is driving the growth of the dicyclopentadiene market. Increasing spending by the Indian government on infrastructure development, such as the Smart Cities Mission, Green Corridor, and the building of ports, is propelling the market growth. Additionally, in late 2013, the Chinese government started the One Belt One Road project for transportation infrastructure development, which is likely to propel the growth of the construction industry, thereby driving the global market.
The global Dicyclopentadiene Market has been segmented on the basis of grade, application, and region.
By grade, the market is segmented into polyester grade, hydrocarbon grade, high purity grade, and others. Among these, the polyester grade was valued at USD 329.90 million in 2019, accounting for 45.47% of the global market; this is attributed to the high use of dicyclopentadiene for producing polyester resins, which are further used in key end-use industries, such as building & construction, automotive, and aerospace.
On the basis of application, the market has been categorized into unsaturated polyester resin, hydrocarbon resin, EPDM elastomers, cyclic olefin polymer (COP) & copolymer (COC), poly DCPD, and others. The unsaturated polyester resin segment emerged as the fastest-growing segment, registering the highest CAGR of 5.4%. It is expected to reach a value of USD 498.41 million by the end of 2027.
Key Findings of the Study:
- The global Dicyclopentadiene Market is projected to reach a value of USD 1,071.74millionby 2027,with a CAGR of around 5.1% during the forecast period.
- Among these regions, Asia-Pacific accounted for 47.23% of the market share in 2019 and is expected to exhibit the highest CAGR of 5.4% during the review period; this can be attributed to the rapid industrial growth and the improving economic conditions of consumers in this region.
- The growing construction industry in developed nations, with increasing investments in residential construction and infrastructure development, is likely to drive the growth of the dicyclopentadiene market. In the U.S., revenue from the construction industry crossed USD 1 trillion in 2016–2017 and is expected to reach USD 1.7 trillion by 2020. This market growth can be attributed to the increase in residential construction with the growing need for single-family dwellings.
- The regulations imposed regarding environmental concerns and depletion of fossil fuels coupled with an inclination towards plant-based chemicals act as a restraint for the market growth.
- The growing demand for lightweight and fuel-efficient military aircraft for homeland security and counterterrorism is a major factor expected to fuel the global market growth.
Request a sample